Sunday, February 21, 2016

New iON Cameras. Installed, tested, reviewed.

iON Cameras: Yay or Nay?


(the answer is YAY for those who don’t want to read)


Buy an iON Speed Pro: http://amzn.to/24l9LKg

Buy an iON HD Sport WiFi: http://amzn.to/1TyZ0jM



I bought two iON Cameras to replace my My GoPro camera which stopped functioning properly after just over a year. Hell, it wasn’t working right before then but I never sent it in to be fixed.


I didn’t want to buy another $400 camera so I started looking for alternatives.  Sure I could’ve gone with one of the knock-off GoPro but to be honest, I think the square form-factor is a little ridiculous considering I want to use these while going fast and especially on a helmet, I don’t want the extra drag.


New iON Cameras installed on my Kawasaki Ninja 650


I used the included hande-bar mounts which I found to be of good quality. One of them has a quick release clip and the other a ball similar to a RAM(c) Mount.


DCIM100MEDIA


DCIM100MEDIA


DCIM100MEDIA


took these photos of the rear mounted camera using the iON Speed Pro.



 iON HD Sports WiFi mounted on the rear


 


DCIM100MEDIA

It’s there, left handle bar.


DCIM100MEDIA

Wow, fish-eye is bad for photos.


DCIM100MEDIA

See it?


Here you can see where I mounted the front camera.  These photos were taken with the iON HD Sport WiFi.



iON Speed Pro mounted on front handlebars.


Buy an iON Speed Pro: http://amzn.to/24l9LKg

Buy an iON HD Sport WiFi: http://amzn.to/1TyZ0jM


I’m happy with the video quality and the mounts reduce or eliminate video shake/vibration as well.

They are simple to use. You clip it on and you flip the switch forward and it’s recording. There is a nice cell-phone-like vibration to indicate that the unit is on.


You flip the switch off and it goes into standby mode. You have to hold the single shot/power button down for a few minutes to turn it off.


DCIM100MEDIA

The Lid clips on back. – Min shooting distance is about 6″


DCIM100MEDIA

Trying to show you the top slider and button…


DCIM100MEDIA

Back lid clipped on


DCIM100MEDIA

RAM Style Mount


DCIM100MEDIA

Lots of inputs – Camera fails at close shots



 


 


 


 


 


 


The software that comes with the camera leaves  a lot to be desired.  It looks like someone 2016-02-21 17_53_50-ionspent about 15 minutes whipping it together. 2016-02-21 17_53_39-ion 2016-02-21 17_53_27-ion


 


If it opens correctly; I’ve found that the world’s shortest 3″ USB that came with the iON HD Sport is unreliable.2016-02-21 17_48_05-D__


And the iON Cloud where you can sync your video and seamlessly transfer your video to youtube, doesn’t exist from what I’ve been able to find.


2016-02-21 17_54_14-iontheaction.com

iontheaction.com ? Nope.


 


www.ioncamera.com/ioncloud? Nope...

www.ioncamera.com/ioncloud? Nope…


 


 


 


10 Gigs Free

10 Gigs Free


However, I was able to track down mimedia.com by looking at the tiny print on one of the iON Cloud cards included in both camera packages.  That site is still up but apparently the 10 gig plan is FREE anyway and not just the promised 8 gigs from iON Cameras USA.


This is like selling a product and saying, “Oh, hey, and you get a free email address from gmail.com!” Well no shit… no thanks to you iON Cameras USA.


 


Bottom line?  Buy them.  Buy them all.


Buy an iON Speed Pro: http://amzn.to/24l9LKg

Buy an iON HD Sport WiFi: http://amzn.to/1TyZ0jM


 



New iON Cameras. Installed, tested, reviewed.

No comments:

Post a Comment